In this series on Club Program ideas, I’m providing possible programs for clubs to use in their meetings. You can find a full explanation of the approach in Club Programs – The Series.
Today’s program idea: Inside an amplifier.
Everyone loves a big amplifier, who wouldn’t? But the inside of an amplifier is a scary place. This program suggests taking a tour inside an amplifier so that hams can see the different sections. Here are a few ideas for the presentation:
- Show the tubes and how they are rated
- Show the various band switch areas
- Show the electronics in today’s amp and compare with older tube models
- Show the transistor amplifier sections in the new amplifiers
- Show why you need an interface between new radios and old amplifiers
Amplifiers are, for many, a dream to own. This type of program can show hams the guts of power in a ham station.
Bonus program idea: set up a few tables and have club members (pre-arranged) bring in their amplifiers so that everyone can look at the various models and makes. Great for individual questions and answers as well.
Photo Credit: Alpha Amplifiers